The Bint Family 0f New Zealand





   Bint Family History

The Bint Family from New Zealand
site search  

Top row -  Philip 1870, William 1880, Charlotte 1878, Lester 1887, Walter 1876,

  James 1874, Catherine 1892, Philip Thomas & Charlotte, George 1872, Bertha 1885.

Philip Thomas Bint
was a 26 year old carpenter, when he and his pregnant wife Charlotte 23, sons Philip 6, George 4, and James 2, left London for New Zealand on September 9th,1876,with a Government assisted passage in the Cardigan Castle. Another child, Walter, was born on the voyage.
When originally given this group photo several years ago I was told that according to some family recollections it was taken at the time of Philip's funeral and that his image was superimposed. The photo lower down this page, of a younger Philip and Charlotte, which came from Stephanie Santaana's collection, appears to confirm that.
Stephanie has now been given a photo (below) taken on the same day without the addition of their father Philip.
Philip & Eliza Bint 
George Bint 
Charlotte Hayward 
Walter Bint 
Catherine Smith 
James Bint 
Lester Bint 
 William Bint

Bertha Bint

Bint Family UK

Our first proven ancestor was John Bint who married Mary Critcher at Shinfield, Berkshire in 1751. He claimed on a settlement document around that time to be from the next-door parish of Hurst and this was confirmed by his former neighbours. (Unfortunately there does not appear to be a record of his birth or ancestors.)

They settled at the village of Shinfield and had five sons who reached adulthood. James 1754, Thomas 1769, and William 1772 are the three we know most about.

Thomas Bint (1769) who married Sarah Appleton at Shinfield in 1796 and had six surviving children, was the father of Philip, and grand-father of Philip Thomas who migrated to New Zealand. Philip (1812) was named after his grandfather, farm-worker Philip Appleton (1747).

At that time there must have been contact with Christchurch, New Zealand, as Philip Thomas's half-sister, Ann Elizabeth Lailey (Layley) (bn 1838) had arrived at Lyttleton, listed as a domestic servant, on the "Zealandia" in November 1859. She would marry Scottish farmer Melville Dickson (1834-1922) at Papanui in August 1860.

Philip's elder sister Sarah Bint, who married Oxfordshire builder's son Henry Soanes at Paddington, London in 1860, migrated there on the "Lancashire Witch" with their two children, Henry and John, in 1863 and settled in the St. Albans area of Christchurch. The Voyage of the Lancashire Witch 1863

The Lancashire Witch made her first passage to Lyttelton in 1863, and the 420 immigrants who embarked at London experienced a very trying and anxious time. Shortly after her departure scarlet fever broke out, and before reaching Lyttelton three adults and 23 children died and were buried at sea.

In all Henry and Sarah were to have at least seven children, Henry Albert Soanes (1859), John (1863), Philip Walter (1867), Herbert (1870), Harriet (1872), Rose (1880), and Ethel (1882).

One of their grand-children was Montague Harry Holcroft the prominent New Zealand journalist and author.

Henry Soanes, who was successfully involved in building homes at Christchurch, was in a position to help Philip Thomas & family, with accommodation and work.

In 1875 Philip Thomas's father died. A year later his family, now with 3 sons, were on their way to New Zealand       

- I recently came across your site on the Bint family and was intrigued to find the names of two Soanes brothers, Arthur and Henry who, I think, bought a farm across the road from my great-grandfather, William Jordan, who had a farm on Kupara Road backing onto the Soanes Brothers' farm.
I also believe that his daughter, Louisa Jordan (my great aunt who lived with us for a time) married another brother, John Soanes, in Christchurch. Am I talking of the same family?         Sincerely            Warwick Armstrong      18th of April 2011

Philip Bint (1812), married a postman's 32 year old widow Elizabeth Lailey in 1839. Elizabeth born in 1807 at the Hampshire village of Monk Sherborne, daughter of Joseph & Sarah Butler, married John Lailey (Lalley) at St James, Westminster, Middlesex in May 1829. They had at least 5 children, James (1831), Jane (1832), Andrew (1833-34), Emma (1834), Harriet (1836) and Ann Elizabeth (1838), before John's death and her marriage to Philip. 

The spelling of the name 'Lailey' varies in a number of records. I have assumed this is the correct spelling taking it from Maria's birth certificate and several other records. Its also a fairly common surname in that part of Berkshire.

The 1841 census for Brookers Hill, near the church at Shinfield, shows Philip's occupation as "postman" possibly taking over the horse & cart left by Elizabeth's former husband. Their first child Sarah was born in 1840 and four more were added to the family by 1850. Only three survived, Sarah (1840), Maria (1847) and their only son Philip (1850). All three children would eventually migrate to New Zealand, Sarah Soanes, Maria Meyer and Philip Bint.


Philip Thomas Bint's 1850 birthplace.  Sandy Bottom, Sandy Lane in 1995. Wokingham is 1.5 miles to the right. Arborfield a similar distance to the left

The opening of the Great Western railway from Bristol through Reading to Paddington, West London's main terminal in 1841, changed his life in at least two ways. It meant that the fast growing postal service was gradually taken away from the horse & cart post delivery men. The trains however, gave speedier access to the prosperous and fast-growing West London area with its urgent need for building and laundry workers. 
Philip and Elizabeth with their daughter Sarah (1840) moved to the recently built Kensal New Town in the Chelsea area of West London during the mid 1840s.They were living at 6 Hollings Cottages, East Row when Maria Bint was born on the 24th of August 1847. West Row, Middle Row, East Row and part of Southern Row were laid out between 1841 and 1851 with small two-storey cottages, many with small front gardens.

Kensal New Town still had something of a rural character, with many people keeping pigs and growing vegetables in their gardens. Pony-trotting and dog stealing were also said to be popular local pursuits. 
The area, many of whose inhabitants were Irish, was dominated by the Western Gas Company and the huge Kensal Cemetery, both providing work but doing little to improve the environment. 

Laundry work provided the principal source of employment for the inhabitants giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’. Many of the men being comfortably supported by the labours of their wives, while others were employed at the gasworks. 

By 1850 Philip was back in his Berkshire home area. In 1851 he was listed as a farm worker living 3 or 4 miles away from Shinfield at Sandy Bottom, Barkham where his only son, Philip Thomas Bint, was bornThe 1900 map above shows Uxbridge Road north of Starch Green, Shepherds Bush in the Parish of Hammersmith.

The block of streets on the extreme left which included Adelaide Road, Williams Terrace and Oaklands Grove, was the home of both Bint families till Philip Bint's death in 1875 and Philip and Charlotte's voyage to New Zealand in September 1876. The address on Philip Thomas Bint's 1870 birth certificate was 2 Oaklands Villas, Uxbridge Road.

We have no indication of how long they stayed in Berkshire but in 1861 the census records that the family, minus Sarah who had married Henry Soanes in 1860, were back in West London. Now they were living at Cornwall Road (Cornwall Terrace today), Notting Hill. 

By 1866 they had moved to Adelaide Road, Shepherds Bush in the parish of Hammersmith. (see map)

The 1871 census shows 59 year old bricklayer's labourer Philip Bint and wife Elizabeth was still living at Adelaide Road and his 20 year old son Philip Thomas, with wife Charlotte who was 19, and 11 month old Philip Thomas jnr, living nearby at Williams Terrace. Philip Thomas's occupation was listed as "journeyman carpenter" and Charlotte's as "laundress". He had married 17 year old Charlotte Allman at St Peter's Church, Shepherds Bush in 1869.


John & Maria Meyer

Another sister of Philip's, Maria Bint, born in 1847, also moved to New Zealand and she married successful German dairy farmer John M Meyer (born Holstein 1836) in 1877. They had seven children and finally settled at Whenuakura, Taranaki.

A Dairy Farmer, Mr Meyer's property consists of 237 acres of rich land, on which he conducts dairying. There is a comfortable homestead, built of wood and iron, containing eight rooms, and there are also outbuildings. Mr Meyer was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1836, and brought up to farming pursuits. In 1858 he emigrated to Melbourne, Victoria, where he found employment. Four years later he came to New Zealand, for about twenty years was employed in farm work, and subsequently became the owner of three farms, which he disposed of in 1902. In the same year he bought his present property, and settled at Whenuakura.

In the year 1877 Mr. Meyer married a daughter of the late Mr. Philip Bint, of Berkshire, England, and has five sons, two daughters, and five grandchildren. (from an early 20th century profile) Among other purchases he brought the Dickson's farm when Melville retired. (see below)

Greetings Tom from Dunedin NZ.

First off as an introduction I’m Donald Valpy WESTON and associated to your BINT family.

It’s been more than a decade since I last looked into my ‘Weston’ roots so things are a bit rusty as to sources but I can tell you that I often visited Murial SOANES in Forfar St, Christchurch when I was in the area up to just a week or so before her passing.

Much of what I learned came probably via her, especially on the Soanes side. She was a wonderful person to visit and always put on a nice morning tea.

My g-g-grandparents were Johann Mathias MEYER (1836-1916) & Maria BINT.

Latest I have is they had 8 children.

I come via their daughter Maria MEYER (1882-1948) who married Thomas Alfred WESTON only son of Alfred Thomas WESTON & Emily STREETER. They also had four daughters.

Thomas Weston & Maria Meyer had two of each. Horace, Harold, Emma and Mable.

Harold, my father, married Phyllis Ann Louise VALPY, her father being Philip Bree VALPY from the Channel Islands (Jersey) hence my middle name. I was born in 1941.

On the skeleton tree I drew up in the late 1990’s I see I do have something of the Bint line back to one Thomas BINT who married a Sarah ? . They had John, Ann, Hannah,Thomas, Sara and Philip BINT bc.1811.

What is curious and I find no mention on your excellent presentation is any sign of Elizabeth BUTTER, daughter of Joseph BUTTER. As I understand it Elizabeth BUTTER married twice:  m1: to ? LAYLEY (LAILEY) and m2: Philip BINT (b.1811) She married Philip Bint on 15/8/1839, St Peters, Hammersmith and the Vicar was Mathew Fielder.

It was always something of a joke in the Weston family these two associations, Butter & Bint! While there is a lot to plough thru having got on to your site there is a few other points I have on the subject that may be of interest although I certainly can’t say they are true or not.

Melville DICKSON came to NZ on the 'CHARLOTTE JANE' 28/8/1860        Ann LAILEY (LAYLEY) arrived on the 'RANDOLF' 16/12/1850

In some data that is out there my grandfather Thomas Alfred WESTON (married Maria MEYER) is given as Thomas Alfred WHENAUKURA which is totally wrong.

Whenuakura is a town/district in Taranaki. (pronounced Fenakura) where apparently Johann Mathias MEYER started out in NZ.

My NZ Weston family started from the arrival of Alfred Thomas Weston in 1862 when he married and settled in or about Tai Tapu on the outskirts of Christchurch for a time, eventually the family gravitated to Ashburton some 80 miles south of Christchurch where the family put down permanent roots and many descendants still live.

Interestingly Alfred Thomas Weston came from Stanmore/Staines in the UK. Served in both the British Navy and the Merchant Marine. (Stories exist that he went to sea against family wishes and eventually jumped ship in Lyttelton NZ, (Canterbury), went bush for a cooling period and the rest is history!)

There may also be a tie in with the Dixon and Hill families as I see that Johann Mathias MEYER had dealings with Melvile Dixon as one of the daughters of Alfred Thomas Weston & Emily Streeter married into a Hill family!

I’ll leave you with that meantime and study up your website.

Just one comment: A drawn up family tree would be very helpful to sort out the twists and turns etc. Yours etc Donald Valpy Weston



Melville & Anne Dickson

A daughter from Elizabeth Bint's first marriage, Ann Elizabeth Lailey (Layley) (1838-1917), was also in New Zealand long before the arrival of Philip Thomas's family, where she had married Scottish born farmer Melville Dickson (1832-1922) at Papanui in August 1860 . (see Charlotte's album)  She had arrived as a single woman at Lyttleton on the Zealandia in November 1859. Apparently travelling alone, the passenger list recorded her occupation as 'domestic servant'. 

Melville appears to be from the Pitlochry area of Perthshire. It seems reasonably certain that he is the 18 year old Moulin born farm-worker recorded on the Logierait 1851 census.

MOULIN, village and parish in north-east of Perthshire. The village stands about a mile north-east of Pitlochrie, and has a post office under Pitlochrie, a curious ruined castle of 12th century, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 91 scholars. - The parish contains also Pitlochrie and Kinnaird villages, measures about 16 miles by 81/2, and comprises 44,640 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,378. Pop., quoad civilia, 2066; quoad sacra, 1569. The south-western section rises from Killiecrankie Pass and Tummel river to summit of Benvrackie, consists mostly of hills and mountains with interesting vales or glens, and includes some level arable land in what is called the How.  

The north-eastern section is divided from the south-western by a hill from 3 to 4 miles wide, and consists chiefly of glens and verdant hill-screens of two head-streams of the river Ardle. Chief seats are Faskally, Urrard, and Dounavourd; and the chief antiquities are the ruined castle at Moulin village, Caledonian forts and standing stones, and vestiges or sites of mediæval chapels. A quoad sacra parochial church is at Tennandry. There are 3 schools for 497 scholars, and they include new classrooms for 150. (The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882)

The Ancestry transcript shows Duncan Stewart (38) a farmer of 20 acres at Mains of Dunfallandy, born at nearby Moulin and living with sister Janet Stewart (42), mother Isabella McRae (72) and two sons, (both farm-workers) Melville Dickson (18) and John Stewart (11). The census does not make it clear who Melville Dickson is the son of and I have so far had no luck with finding the family on an 1841 return. 

In 1861 Duncan Stewart is listed as a gardener living with his sister Janet and mother Isabella (McGraw?)

Melville's 1922 death certificate records 70 years in New Zealand. At this time it is not known which ship he arrived on. When he retired from farming in 1892 he sold his 70 acre Dunsandel farm to John M Meyer, the husband of his wife Ann's half-sister, Maria.

The couple had eight surviving children. George Robert Dickson (1861-1932), Melville Stewart Dickson (1861-1933), Alice Dickson (1863-1938), Charles William Dickson (1864-1951), Clara Dickson (1867-1951), Elizabeth Annie (Lizzie) Dickson (1870-1945), John James Dickson (1870-1947), Maria Dickson (1873-1931)

Kathy Hill recently made contact and kindly supplied the family photos and most of this information. 

My husband, Warwick Hill, is the great great grandson of Elizabeth Layley, who as a widow married Philip Bint. (All the family references here - marriage and birth certificates of her daughter - spell it that way, but in parish records spelt in very many different ways.)  

In the last couple of days I have been following up on her daughter, Ann Elizabeth Layley who married Melville Dickson in NZ in 1860. She migrated to NZ in 1859 on the Zealandia. In your "Charlotte's Album" section I was delighted to find a photo of Anne and Melville in Rangiora, where they are both buried. I have portraits of both of them which correlate closely to the two people standing on the verandah, but had no photo of their home. Family lineage is - Warwick Hill 1946 - Ronald Stewart Hill 1904 - Alice Dickson 1863 - Anne Elizabeth Layley 1836 - Elizabeth and John Layley..

Warwick's grandmother, Alice Dickson (1863-1938) married Philip John Hill (1859-1945) at St Mathews Courtenay (Kirwee) in April 1884.

Aged only 20 when she married, Alice is reputed to have been a very sweet-natured person, much loved by all. There are many tales of how she would share what little she had with her neighbours. Her nieces and nephews enjoyed many holidays in her home, "doing nothing but a bit of shooting" and having a lot of fun. Some of the boys were real hard cases.

Alice had all her children at home. 

Whenever giving birth to her 14 children, she would chew a hole in the corner of a pillow case rather than scream. Her mid-wife was Aunt Jennie, her sister -in-law, who was not above giving the children a good round-up if they needed it. It seems that the family was surprisingly close-knit, considering the distances that they had to travel to keep up with each other. John's sister, Marion, was the god-mother for their first son, Alf. 

The children all went to Selwyn School, which Alice herself had attended. The 14 children all stayed at school until they were between 12 and 15, and then left to work at home. Olive went and lived at Westenra's for a while as a companion to their daughter.

Alice died at Dunsandel on 16 September 1937 aged 76. She was making John a cup of tea when she took off her glasses, said, "I won't be needing these again" and collapsed. She is buried in Dunsandel Cemetery.

Obituary -

The death occurred at her home at Dunsandel recently of Mrs P.J.Hill, in her 76th year. Mrs Hill was born in Christchurch, and educated at the Selwyn School. She was the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs M.S. Dickson. Mr Dickson arrived in New Zealand from Scotland, in one of the First Four Ships, the Charlotte Jane (sic) , and he was married to Miss A.E. Layley after her arrival from England two years later in the Zealandia.
Mrs Hill is survived by her husband, three daughters and seven sons, 39 grandchildren and three great-grand-children. The daughters are Mrs S.L.Ashbolt (Christchurch), Mrs A. Wilson (Ellesmere), and Mrs T.R.Greer (Ashburton), and the sons are Messrs Alfred, Leicester and Kenneth Hill (Dunsandel), Laurence Hill (Ashburton), B. Hill (Templeton), Frank and Ronald Hill (Christchurch). Four sons predeceased Mrs Hill.
Pall-bearers at the funeral were Messrs V. Ashbolt. S.Hill, A.Hill and R.Wilson (grandsons), and T. Greer and A. Wilson (sons-in-law). (The reference to Melville's arrival on the "Charlotte Jane"  we believe is erroneous - we know he was still in Scotland in 1851. And the "Zealandia" brought Ann Elizabeth Layley to Lyttleton in 1859)

Melville Dickson by Kathy Hill 6th July 2012

1833 Logierait, Perthshire, Scotland – 1922, Christchurch, New ZealandMelville DICKSON born sometime in 1833 (or 1834) in Logierait, Perthshire, Scotland, was a mystery man. None of the family legends refer to his birth or background, and no official record of his birth or baptism has been found yet.

On 6 June, 1841 the first modern UK census took place. Each householder was required to complete a census schedule giving the address of the household, the names, ages, sexes, occupations and places of birth of each individual living at the address. This is a great help in tracing people – as long as the enumerators included them in the survey.Duncan STEWART, Melville’s probable father, was living at Cragganown, Out Housen, Fortingall, Perthshire and was an agricultural labourer. Eight-year-old Melville Dickson and his mother were not listed in the census anywhere in the UK. So where were they? How did they get overlooked?The next census was taken on 30 March 1851. This time, Heads of households had to state their relationship to everyone in the household, their marital status and their disabilities.

Melville Dickson, an 18 year-old farm servant, was living on a 20- acre farm, Mains of Dunfallandy, with Duncan Stewart, a 38 year-old farmer. Duncan Stewart was named as the Head of the household. The other people present on census night were Janet Stewart, aged 42, sister; Isabel McRAE , 72, farmer’s mother; and John Stewart, 11, son, farm servant. Melville is listed as a son of the Head of the house.So how come Melville’s name is Dickson, not Stewart? On his death certificate his mother’s surname is listed as Dickson, and so is his father’s, but no Christian names are given. Is he really the illegitimate son of Duncan Stewart and a Miss Dickson? If so, Duncan would have been only 20 when he and Miss Dickson were sowing their wild oats. Illegitimate children usually took their mother’s name and were brought up by them. So why is Melville with Duncan Stewart in 1841? Had Miss Dickson died before 1841, so that Duncan had to look after his son, or was Melville a very handy, youthful source of labour for a small farm?Right now, we don’t have the answers to any of these questions.Mains of Dunfallandy, the farm the family owned, was 4km north-west of Logierait and 1.5km south of Pitlochry. It was shown on an 1869 map as a farmstead with one unroofed building and one roofed building, both attached to an enclosure. It probably provided a scant living for the five people living there in 1851.

By 7 April, 1861, when the next census was taken, life appeared to be even more difficult for the family. Isabel McRAW , aged 82, a former farmer’s wife was the Head of the house at 4 Dunfallandy. Duncan Stewart was a gardener, and Janet Stewart was the Housekeeper. There was no mention of the farm and both the sons, John and Melville had moved on.A John Stewart, a 22-year-old glass stainer and painter born in Perth, was living in London. He may be the missing son. Melville had migrated to New Zealand and was living in Christchurch.

Family legends have not been helpful in tracing Melville’s journey to New Zealand. One source incorrectly stated that he travelled on the Charlotte Jane, which arrived in Lyttelton in 1850. The informant for Melville’s death certificate claimed he had been in New Zealand for 70 years when he died in 1922. This would have meant an arrival date of 1852.An obituary was more accurate. "Mr Melville Dickson, whose death took place on Sunday at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr W MAYNARD, Salisbury Street, at the advanced age of 89, ranked amongst the early colonists, having arrived in Lyttelton about the year 1858."

A "Melvil" Dickson arrived in Launceston from Glasgow on 21 July, 1857, aboard the Forest Monarch. The passenger list notes that he was a 24-year-old Presbyterian farm servant who could read and write. The Saint Andrews Immigration Society sponsored the journey. Some records say there were 262 migrants on board the Forest Monarch, while others state there were 144. The trip must have been relatively smooth, because 144 people signed a testimonial to the captain and crew. "Our voyage has been, by the blessing of God, unusually prosperous, the general health being excellent throughout, and not a single death having occurred on board."

There is as yet no trace of Melville’s journey to New Zealand but Melville’s obituary claims, "Very soon after his arrival he purchased 100 acres of land in the vicinity of what is now St Albans, where he settled down with his wife, who came out to be married to him in the year 1860."His wife, Anne Elizabeth LAYLEY, arrived in Lyttelton on board the Zealandia on 30 July, 1859 just two years after Melville’s arrival in Tasmania. She was born in Shinfield, Berkshire on 9 October, 1836, and was still living there on census night in 1851. There is no evidence to suggest that she had met Melville before leaving England to come to New Zealand, but it is a nice romantic theory. It is much more likely that she met her Scot in Christchurch.In 1860, Melville Dickson appears on the Jury List as a labourer of Scotstoun, Papanui, and on a list of all people liable to serve as Militiamen. He is described as a farmer of Papanui.

The 1872-1873 Roll for the election of the Canterbury Provincial Superintendent shows Melville having the right to vote twice. He was the freeholder of Rural Section 223 in Papanui and leased Rural Section 12223 in Upper Selwyn. We don’t have any details of Rural Section 223 yet.Melville and Anne Layley were married in St Paul’s Papanui by Archdeacon Matthias, on 28 August, 1860. Melville’s occupation is given as farmer, and the witnesses were Wm THOMSON, Scott’s Toun Gentleman, Charlotte SPARKS and R WYLDE-BROW.William Thomson was a Scots-born politician who bought a 50-acre section in Papanui that he called Scotstown. Scotston Street, St Albans runs through the land he owned. He was a shareholder in the Canterbury Standard, a Christchurch newspaper that was published from June 1854 until 1866 by Joseph BRITTAN, and was also a Canterbury Provincial Councillor from 1855 till 1861.

William Thompson was an important man in the district who could summon up support among the locals for his causes. Melville is listed as one of those who signed the requisition to Joseph Brittan to stand for Christchurch Country, as a representative in the House of Representatives, in April 1860. Young Melville knew some of the movers and shakers in Canterbury, possibly because he worked for them, or farmed alongside them.

A family story refers to Melville training to be a doctor in Christchurch at one point, but nothing has been found to back this up.

There is no confirmation of the size of Melville’s land in Papanui yet, but his obituary claims, "About the year 1866 he sold the property and purchased between 300 and 400 acres at Riccarton which he farmed for four years and then sold out. He next acquired 177 acres at Dunsandel, which he farmed for thirty years."Again there has been no evidence found for his land purchase in Riccarton, but at least two of his children were born in St Albans between 1860 and 1865, and one was born in Riccarton in 1867. The next children were born in Dunsandel in 1870 and 1873, which confirms the family’s movements as listed in the obituary.

On 17 July, 1871 Melville Dickson, farmer, and William ROLLESTON, Superintendent of the Canterbury Provincial Council signed a lease agreement for "100 acres, part of Reserve #916 Rakaia District commencing at the North East corner of said reserve and following Westerly along the road forming the Northern boundary, 25 chains and extending Southerly 40 chains in a rectangular block west of and adjoining RS 12522".

The lease term was for 14 years and five months from 1 July 1871.

The payment for the first seven years and five months was £7/10/- and for the remaining seven years was £12/10/-. This was payable half yearly in advance on the first day of May and November.

Melville undertook to lay down at least 75 acres of the grant in "good and permanent English grass". He was not to take more than two grain crops off the land within any five consecutive years, and immediately after the second crop had to sow more "good English grass."

At the end of the lease he had to hand back the land "with all buildings, fences, gates, ditches and fixtures in and upon the said devised premises in good and tenantable repair and condition of the land in a state of good husbandlike order and condition free from Scotch thistles and other noxious weeds."  He was not permitted to sub-let.

Melville also purchased 70 acres of land in Dunsandel, but there are no details of this yet.

In Wises Directories of 1878 and 1879 Melville is listed at both Papanui and Selwyn. This implies he had still not sold the land in Papanui, though living in Dunsandel.

People in the Dunsandel district remembered the Dicksons as a lovely, refined people. Their children Alice, Charles and Jack (John) started the first band in Dunsandel. Alice played the piano and the boys played the concertina. Two sons, Charles and Melville were both first day pupils at Selwyn School, 9 October, 1871.

Melville’s lease on the 100 acres in Selwyn expired in 1885 and life in Dunsandel ended for Melville and Anne Dickson when they sold their freehold property March 1892.PROPERTY SALES - "on account of Mr Melville Dickson, 70 acres at Dunsandel, a compact little farm, to Mr J. M. MEYER. " Anne’s stepsister, Maria BINT had married Johann Mathier Meyer in New Zealand in 1877.From Dunsandel, Melville and Anne moved to Southbrook, and then to Kaiapoi and finally Rangiora. In the 1911 Electoral Roll, Melville is listed as a farmer living at 19 Edward Street, Rangiora.

There has been a story that Melville had a second name "Stewart" but the evidence found suggests this is not correct. His signature on the lease papers for the land in Selwyn has no "S" in addition to his Christian name, and on his marriage and death certificates he is named as only Melville.

Anne died in Rangiora in 1917, and was buried in the East Belt Cemetery, Rangiora. Her tombstone is an open book with the simple inscription A.E. Dickson, and a second page left blank - ready no doubt for Melville.

After Anne died, Melville went to live with his daughter, Lizzie Maynard, in Christchurch - until his death from chronic bronchitis and heart failure in 1922.

"Death: On July 16th 1922 at the residence of his son-in-law Mr W E Maynard, 197 Salisbury Street, City, Melville, beloved husband of the late Ann Elizabeth Dickson, late of Dunsandel in his 89th year. No mourning, no flowers by request."

His obituary says, "Mr Dickson was of a kindly and generous disposition, and during his long residence in Dunsandel district was always amongst the first to render practical sympathy to those in difficulty or distress.

He leaves a family of four sons and four daughters. His sons are Mr Melville Dickson, who has been in the North Island for many years; Mr C.W. Dickson, Waikakahi, Mr George Dickson, Ayers Street, Rangiora, and Mr John Dickson of Pareora; and daughters Mrs J HILL, Dunsandel, Mrs J HARWOOD, Coalgate, Mrs W Maynard and Mrs S.A. WEBER, Rangiora."

Melville appears to have left no will. Archives New Zealand holds no record of probate or letters of administration being granted. Perhaps he had given away all his possessions before he died.

It is not clear where Melville is buried. Family stories stated that he was buried in Papanui, but this is not so. A Burial Locator places him in Christchurch, but the Christchurch City Council has no record confirming this. His death notice gives no details of his funeral. His death certificate states that he is buried in Rangiora, but there is no official record of him being buried there. There is no inscription for him on the blank side of his wife’s tombstone. Quite sad, really.It would be good to be able to prove that he lies with Anne.

Just as he presented a mystery at the beginning of his life, he has left a mystery at its conclusion.


Melville Stewart DICKSON 3 FEB 1861 - 1933

Annie Catherine DICKSON b Christchurch 19 MAR 1862 – 1862

Alice DICKSON b Christchurch 19 APR 1863 d 1938

Charles William DICKSON b St Albans 4 AUG 1864 d 1951

George Robert DICKSON b St Albans 1865 d 1832

Clara DICKSON b Riccarton 28 AUG 1867 d 1951

John James DICKSON b 1869 d 1747

Elizabeth Annie (Lizzie) DICKSON b Dunsandel 22 AUG 1870 d 1940

Maria DICKSON b Dunsandel 30 MAY 1873 d 1931

Kathy Hill 6 July 2012


Jane Bint and Richard Wallburton

New Zealander Lewis Brown, a descendant of Richard and Jane Wallburton, has supplied most of the information about this branch of our family.

Jane Bint. Quoting Lewis - 'The most reliable age for Jane that I think I have at present is the one from the emigration record. It seems for me that age would be asked for, and given, the ship departed in August and arrived in December 1879, it suggests that she must have been born in 1850. But if that is accurate, then it also suggests she might have been a twin of Philip Thomas unless he was born very early in the year, and her very late. The other possibility is that the age on the death record of 44 is more accurate (reported by Richard), which could take her birth year back as far as 1847.'  

Fortunately, we now have Jane's birth certificate. She was born to Philip & Elizabeth Bint at Marylebone, Middlesex, on 11th May 1845. There is no clue to why she does not appear with her family at Berkshire on the 1851 census, but a Jane Bent is employed as a servant at Marylebone in 1861.
Jane married Somerset gardener, Richard Wallburton at Highbridge in Somerset on 15th of March 1876. He was the son of carpenter Charles Wallbutton (1817) who lived at North Curry in Somerset. According to local historians his family of carpenters had originated in the North Perrott (Crewkerne) area of Somerset and moved to North Curry in the late 1700s.

Her residence at that time was recorded as Highbridge and Richard had been living at Newport in South Wales.

It appears to be at that time Richard's surname first began to be spelt as Wallburton. Whether this was a spelling error by a cleric, or a deliberate act, we may never know, but that was his surname recorded at their marriage and on the ship's passenger list.

In 1879 the couple migrated to New Zealand on the 'Lady Jocelyn' with their two children Frederick (aged 3) and Richard (Robert) (3 months). Their contact in Christchurch was named as Jane's brother-in-law, Henry Soanes, a bricklayer from Knightstown (St. Albans). see Soanes family


From the Lady Jocelyn's passenger list 

Knightstown was the district now known generally as Edgeware in Christchurch. It was believed to have been named after a local landowner, Henry Knight, who had lived in the area from 1855. The name fell into disuse with the formation of the Borough of St Albans in 1881.

The Wallburtons settled at St Albans and in 1880 were living at Crescent Road, Stanmore. Richard was employed as a gardener. This was the same street where Jane's brother, carpenter Philip Bint and his family, had their home. When Philip Bint's family moved away to Taranaki in 1890, Richard and Jane Wallburton were living at Caledonian Road, Christchurch.

The couple had five children, Frederick George (1876), Richard (Robert) (1879), Philip Charles (1881), Annie Elizabeth (1883) and James (1885-1890)

The loss of five year old James in 1890 and the death of Jane, who was only 46 in September 1891, initiated a downhill spiral for her family. The widower Richard Wallburton, seems to have taken solace in the bottle and from 1893 appeared in the courts and sent to jail multiple times for mostly petty crimes relating to drunkenness, dishonesty and theft. He ended up in hospital after attempting suicide in December 1918.  There is no indication how long he remained there but we do know that the last years of his life were spent in Sunnyside Mental Hospital where he died in October 1935. Senile decay was cited as one of the conditions he had at death. Richard, a gardener, became an alcoholic and a petty thief in later years, and was jailed several times, including for one period of 6 months. His convictions including stealing fruit, a hen and a wheelbarrow, using obscene language in public, and punching a Chinese laundryman in the nose. Lewis
When Richard Wallburton was sent to prison in 1893 his youngest surviving son, 12 year old Philip, was found wandering the streets and sent to Burnham Industrial School, the equivalent of Borstal, until he was 15. Fortunately the school system there did claim to separate the delinquent children from those who were neglected.

THE BURNHAM INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL was situated near the Burnham railway station, eighteen miles from Christchurch. The 1000 acre farm attached to the school, of which between 300 and 400 acres were sown in oats and wheat, or the growing of vegetables. All the work on the farm was done by the older boys, about a dozen being employed under the supervision of two farm hands. The boys were instructed in all branches of farm work. Stock was also kept there with some of the lads becoming expert dairymen. The garden, the poultry farm, the laundry, workshop, fire brigade, band, and other aids to industry and recreation were all conducted on the most approved principles, with a view to the well-being of the pupils. The boys were encouraged to learn useful trades, such as carpentry, tailoring, shoemaking, and cooking, and given every facility in that connection. A small weekly payment was made to those who displayed special diligence and aptitude. A smart cadet corps, attached to the school, was drilled by a qualified instructor. The discipline of a military system was maintained at Burnham, and the bugle-call, which sounded the boys to meals, to bed, and so on, was obeyed with alacrity. Representatives of the various religious denominations frequently visited the school. (from a 1903 description)

Philip Charles Wallburton served in South Africa during the 2nd Boer War returning home in 1902 as a lance corporal. On Army records he had named his next of kin as his brother Frederick. The St Albans 1905 electoral roll shows the 24 year old living at 209 Colombo Street and employed as a brick-layer. In 1907 he married 26 year old Maude Compton. The couple had two children, Robert (Bob) Wallburton (1908) and Noel Lester Wallburton (1909). He fought in the Boer War; was a bricklayer by trade; lived in Christchurch; son Bob lived in St Kilda, Dunedin, and in earlier years worked at the Aulesbrook & Co biscuit company, where his uncle also worked. Lewis


What was happening to Phil's older brother Frederick George Wallburton (1876) at this time is not at present known. His early education must have been to a reasonable standard as the electoral roll records him as a clerk at Lyttelton in 1900. By 1905 he had moved to North Wellington where his occupation was ' commercial agent'. He married Victoria Olive Smith there in April 1909. From 1911 he was employed as a manager. The couple had two children, Ngaere Dawn Wallburton (1912) and Wayne Richard Wallburton (1917). Frederick Wallburton joined the Aulesbrook & Co biscuit company as a boy. In later life he was involved in the Canterbury Rugby Union and then the New Zealand Rugby Union management committee in 1906. He moved to Wellington from Christchurch in 1905 and remained there until his death. Lewis

Richard (Robert) Wallburton (1879)

Melbourne Argus Friday 12 December 1902 "YOUNG MAN SHOOTS HIMSELF. While taking an early walk in Alexandra avenue yesterday morning, a workman named James Murphy found the body of a young man lying close to the rockery. The body was cold and a dark patch of blood on the right temple showed where he had shot himself. Close beside him lay a five-chambered revolver, two barrels of which had been recently discharged. Although it had been raining during the night the clothes of the deceased man were dry, and the tragedy probably occurred in the early hours of the morning. Constable Miller, who was on duty, was called to the spot, and with the assistance of some civilians, placed the body in a cab, and had it taken to the City Morgue. It was identified by Mrs. John Phillips as that of Robert Walburton, a butcher, who arrived in Melbourne from New Zealand about three weeks ago, and was lodging at her house for a time. From inquiries made it was learned that Walburton obtained employment with a butcher named Owen Mills at Kensington, a few days ago, but disappeared on Thursday last. He presented himself at his former lodgings on Sunday, and appeared to be recovering from a carouse. He agreed to go back to his work, but again disappeared and visited Mrs Phillips on Wednesday. He told her that he had lost all his money, and was going to the Theatre Royal to drown his sorrows. When the body was taken to the morgue the sum of 7 shillings was found in the pockets. An inquest will be held to-day. 

Annie Elizabeth Wallburton (1883) was only 8 years old when her mother died so someone must have looked after her. In 1906 she married builder Neil McGillivray (1879-1960). The couple had three children, Gerald Murray McGillivray (1911), Karl Neil McGillivray (1914) and John Robert (Jack) McGillivray (1921). Annie Wallburton married Neil McGIllivray and raised three children in Christchurch, spending many of their years in New Brighton. Neil McGillivray and son Murray were builders.  

See Wallburton Family Tree


I stumbled across your Bint family tree on the internet. It was very interesting to read about my Grandfather (Noel Lester Wallburton). He was a very proud upright military man whom I know very little about despite the fact that he was around when we were kids. I did know his father was a bricklayer, who among other things laid the brick walls around Mona Vale in Christchurch. I did meet this gentleman when I was quite young. I seem to remember him in a home in Ashburton. I was given his pocket watch when he died.

I will pass your link on to my sister, I know she will be very interested also.  Thank you for the info.  Kind regards            Jeff Clare   26 September 2012

 My thanks to Lewis Brown for allowing me to copy his extensive research. TB



The Allman and Edwards Families

Charlotte Allman was born at Hammersmith in 1852, the daughter of dairyman Richard Allman (1828) who was from Wraysbury in Buckinghamshire and Suffolk born Eliza Edwards (1829). 

Dairyman Richard Allman was born at Wraysbury, Buckinghamshire (now in Berkshire) around 1831, just across the River Thames from Windsor. His father was labourer George Allman and his mother Ann was from nearby Thorpe, near Egham in Surrey. 

Richard married Eliza Edwards from Wrentham, Suffolk at Kensington, West London on September 29th 1851.They had at least five children Charlotte Allman (1852), William (1855), Eliza [Jane] (1858), Robert (1865) and Alfred (1868). The first three were born at Hammersmith, and the others at Shepherds Bush.

Eliza was the daughter of Sampson Edwards who was baptised at Halesworth, Suffolk on the 25th October 1802. He was the son of Sampson and Mary. (no birth dates available) Sampson married Hannah Ashford from Frostenden Suffolk at Frostenden in Oct 1827.

Their children were ..

Mary Edwards baptised Wrentham 6th of October 1828

Elizabeth Edwards baptised 23rd May 1830 at Wrentham.

Sampson Edwards baptised at Wrentham on 26th of November 1831.

Phoebe Edwards 1841 Marylebone, Middlesex

Sampson's wife Hannah died sometime between 1851 - 1856 and he re-married at Kensington in the December Qtr of 1857. She was Elizabeth Winslade from Richmond in Surrey and born October 2nd 1822. Elizabeth was 20 years younger than Sampson. They had one child Jane born at Notting Hill, London in 1858. 

Sampson's occupation in 1851, was 'carman' ( a sort of horse-drawn taxi driver), in 1861 horse-keeper, and from 1871 a self employed laundry man. The 1881 census records him as employing 13 women in his laundry at Acton Green, Middlesex. Sampson died in January 1891.

Charlotte's brothers, Robert Allman (1865) and Alfred Allman (1868) remained in the London area. Robert married Florence Annie Younger (1864) from Boston, Lincolnshire at Fulham, West London in 1893. The couple had a shoe repair and sales business in High Street, Chiswick. They had six children.

Motor and cycle engineer Alfred married Paddington born Florence Annie Dover (1867), at Fulham in 1893. They appear to have been childless but had a niece, Daisy Dover (1897), living with them.

Dover family researcher John Dover has pointed me to an interesting relative of Charlotte's brother Alfred Allman with an early connection to Taranaki, New Zealand. A man who we believe was Alf's father-in-law, Philip Dover's older brother, Edmund Dover (1834), was listed as a cabinet maker when living with his widowed upholsterer father at Finsbury in 1851.

He joined the 70th Regiment (Surrey Rifles) who arrived in New Zealand from India in 1863 and first saw action against the Maoris at Katikara River in Taranaki.

The regiment went on to serve at Koheroa, Cameron Town and Orakau before returning to Taranaki with General Duncan Cameron in 1865. The 70th returned to England in 1866, after 17 years' service in India and New Zealand. 

Sergeant Edmund Dover was not with them. He had stayed on the North Island and taken up the offer of land grants offered to former soldiers at Taranaki. In 1868 he married Devon born widow Elizabeth Pote (nee Radford) born 1821, who is believed to have arrived in New Zealand on board The Blenheim from Plymouth, Devon in 1842 possibly using the name Elizabeth Payne.

If our sources are correct Elizabeth was 49 years old when she gave birth to their only son Philip Edmund Dover at New Plymouth in 1869. Edmund was listed as a general dealer in 1870 and a hotel keeper at the Red House Hotel, Devon Street, in 1873. He was only 40 when he died there in 1875


19 year old Philip and 17 year old Charlotte's 1869 marriage at St Peter's, Shepherds Bush.  Both were listed as 'minors'.

Philip Thomas Bint was a 26 year old carpenter, when he and his pregnant wife Charlotte 23, sons Philip 6, George 4, and James 2, left London for New Zealand on September 9th,1876,with a Government assisted passage.

At the time of Philip's family's arrival the Soanes family were already well established in Christchurch's building industry and it was to one of their houses at St Albans that he and Charlotte first moved. They were later to live further south at Dunsandel where, according to Irene Hannam's family recollections, Charlotte went back to laundry work. One of Philip's grand-daughters Jean Sutton, recalled that for a number of years Charlotte worked at a boys school. Dunnsandel was where Philip's half-sister, Ann Elizabeth Layley, and her husband Melville Dickson had settled after their marriage at Papanui in 1860. She had arrived on the Zealandia in 1859.


Lester Bint was born in August 1887 and the family were again living at St Albans (Crescent Road). He was baptised at St Matthew's Church with his 2 year old sister Bertha on the 6th of November that year.

Charlotte always went back to her laundry work. It is said, after each confinement, Charlotte had a board placed across her bed so she could carry on with the starching and ironing of lace etc.

"One of George Bint’s grandchildren (sorry can’t remember who) gave us the following. Philip and Charlotte Bint lived in Christchurch where they operated a laundry. George Bint delivered the starched fronts and stiff collars to the owners. He also served an apprenticeship to the boot trade." Ron & Rae Bint

Philip Bint and Charlotte were to have ten children. The one not alive when the family photo was taken was Charles Henry Bint who was born in 1884 but only lived for seven years. 

When originally given the group photo (shown at the top of this page) several years ago I was told that according to some family recollections it was taken at the time of Philip's funeral and that his image was superimposed. The photo below of a younger Philip and Charlotte from Stephanie Santaana's collection appears to confirm that.

All the family agree that Charlotte was used to hard work. In 1871 at 19 years old, when she and Philip with 11 months old Philip Thomas were living at Oaklands Grove just off the busy Uxbridge Road at Shepherds Bush, she described her occupation as 'laundress'. At that time her in-laws Philip Bint aged 59, and Elizabeth 61, lived just around the corner in Williams Terrace. Only half a mile away her grandfather Sampson Edwards had a laundry business and he may possibly have employed her. 

From her parents she would also have had a fair knowledge of the dairy business.

Their plans to migrate to New Zealand where Philip's elder sister Sarah, with her husband Henry Soanes had lived since sailing on the "Lancashire Witch" in 1863, did not turn to reality until after their father Philip's death in 1875.

Charlotte's sister Elisa Allman (1859-1951) was another family member in New Zealand who had also married into the Soanes family.Charlotte's sister, Elisa Allman (1859-1951), also went to New Zealand and married Philip's nephew, Henry Albert Soanes, at Christchurch in 1880. (see ARTHUR SOANES & 1880s TARATA) They had three sons, Arthur Soanes (1881), Bertie (1883) and Frank (1886).

Charlotte was also an expert seamstress and made suits for all her sons until they turned 21. She was a local midwife when they moved to Tarata around 1890, forded flooded streams with 50lbs of stores on her back and sewed up a gash in a labourer's leg with needle and cotton. Philip Thomas Bint made a deferred payment purchase of the land in November 1889 and acquired the freehold of sec. 50, block III at Huiroa in March 1894. Their Tarata property was named "Avondale Farm".

Charlotte, an active member from its earliest days, of the Tarata Settlers Association, died in New Plymouth on the 19th of February 1938.

Charlotte (centre) as a worker with the Hygienic Laundry (Does anyone know its location? )


One of George Bint’s grandchildren (sorry can’t remember who) gave us the following.

Philip and Charlotte Bint lived in Christchurch where they operated a laundry. George Bint delivered the starched fronts and stiff collars to the owners. He also served an apprenticeship to the boot trade.

The Bint family took up 453 acres on Kohete Road, Taranaki in 1890. They arrived in New Plymouth by boat with vats for cheese making, cheese press, a separator called Alexandra, a churn, Swiss-made side saddle, stumping jacks and furniture. They moved to Ingelwood by train then carted by Joe George’s wagon to Kaimata past five houses and over three rivers which fortunately had bridges.

The house consisted of four rooms of adzed weatherboard, lined with scrim and newspaper. A shingle roof, iron chimney with bars across to hang the camp oven and big boilers for vegetables.  Ron & Rae Bint


From "Brave Days - Pioneer Women of New Zealand" published in 1939


Philip Bint and two of his sons producing building planks at their saw-pit near Tarata






A postcard dated December 1908 to Charlotte Bint from her sister Elisa Soanes showing her sons Frank & Percy Soanes in a model N Ford  from Stephanie's Collection

See Lottie Hayward's 1937 letter to her sister Kate Smith





I hope my New Zealand friends will forgive me adding this, but its useful to me, and maybe to others, as I find the Maori place-names sometimes difficult to remember. It is a small section of a North Island map sent to me ten years ago by the late Irene Hannam to which she had added notes and markers showing the earlier movements of some of the Bint and Rawlinson families.  The scale is approximately 40 km across a grid square.     Tom


Many thanks to Stephanie for the photographs

contact me at 


Berkshire Bints   New Zealand Families   Hertfordshire Bint Family  
Shinfield   Taranaki Migrants   Percy Bint & Canada  
Shinfield Fiction   Irene Hannam's Letters   Will Bint Music Hall Artiste  
Bints of Sunningdale   Old Tarata Photos   Little Berkhamsted History  
Tom Bint & 626 Squadron   Lorna Smith's Story      
Lambourn   George Bint      
Eaton   Philip Bint & Eliza Day      
Sparsholt   Edward Haywood & Charlotte   Yorkshire & Luton Bint Family  
The Allmans   Walter & Lillian Bint      
Legge Family   Sydney Smith & Catherine   Henry Bint from Eaton  
Henry Hippisley   James Bint & Ellen Stratford   The Yorkshire & Luton Family  
Standlake History   Lester & Rosa Bint   Paul's Photographs  
Around Old Eaton   William & Rose   James Bint & the Oxford Family  
Barkham History Site   Bertha Bint      
Arborfield History Site   An 1898 letter from England      
Lambourn Baptisms   The Lancashire Witch      
Childrey Village Charlotte's Album
Magdalene's 1686 will   The Voyage of the Cardigan Castle      
Mary Russell Mitford's Book   Cousin Arthur Soanes & 1880s Tarata      
Mary Mitford's Home   The Rawlinsons      
James Bint & the Oxford Family   The Aussie Rawlinsons