of Edward and Ann's children, carpenter James
Bint, was born at Westminster on the 27th
of September 1788 and christened there in 1791.
he married Harriet Spencer (1791) the
daughter of John and Lydia Spencer, from Ribbesford,
near Bewdley in Worcestershire, at the church of St.
James, Piccadilly in Westminster.
Some time before 1816 the couple
moved to Howe Green, a hamlet situated a mile north
of Little Berkhampstead in Hertfordshire.
Little Berkhampstead’s greatest claim
to fame is that it was here that William the
Conqueror accepted the surrender of the City of
London after the Battle of Hastings.
By 1841 they had at least 6
children, all born at Howe Green. In 1851 he was
recorded as a carpenter employing two men. His son
Charles was listed as an apprentice carpenter.
James died at Howe Green in 1859
followed by Harriet in 1860.
Their children were -
James Bint baptised 29th of December 1816 at
Little Berkhampstead, John Bint baptised 3rd
of January 1819 at Little Berkhampstead,
Charles Bint baptised 22nd of June 1823
at Little Berkhampstead, Mary Bint baptised
19th of March 1826 at Little Berkhampstead,
Martha Bint baptised 13th of April 1828
at Little Berkhampstead, and William Spencer
Bint baptised 7th of December 1834 at
The family moved
to towns and villages nearby.
James Bint (1816) married Caroline
Snow (1815) at St George's Hanover Square, London in
1837. Caroline was the daughter of servant John Snow
from Westminster and his wife Caroline.
Caroline moved to Hertingfordbury, a village one
mile west of Hertford, which still today retains its
rural character. Straddling the River Mimram on
which was built a water mill in the 18th Century, it
lies just north of the River Lea. The northern
boundary of the village is Panshanger Park, with its
Great Oak, considered by some to be the oldest oak
They settled at
Pipers End, Hertingfordbury and five of their seven
children were born there. James was listed as a
journeyman carpenter in 1851 and a builder from
After his father
died in 1859 he moved to Howe Green, probably to run
the existing family building business which was
employing four men at the time of the 1871 census.
Their children were -
baptised at Hatfield 4th
of November 1838, James Bint
baptised at Hertingfordbury 30th of May 1841,
Harriet Bint baptised at
Hertingfordbury 30th of April 1843, John Bint
baptised at Hertingfordbury 1st of June 1845,
Charles Bint baptised at
Hertingfordbury 22nd of August 1847, William
Richard Bint baptised at Hertingfordbury
29th of September 1850, and Frederick Alfred
Bint registered at Ware June Qtr 1856. Born
married carpenter Henry Hobbs (1834) who was
born at Reading in Berkshire at Hertford in 1860.
The couple moved to Newington, London. They appear
to have been childless. In 1871 Henry's occupation
was given as a joiner. Caroline's youngest brother
Frederick Alfred Bint (1856) was lodging with
them. 1881 records her as a widow and living at 69
Camden Road, St Pancras where her occupation is
'manager of wine business'. She has a ten year old
niece, Edith C Butterworth, staying with her.
In May 1891
Caroline, now a 45 year old widow, married Jacob
Enders at the Church of St Paul, St Pancras. The
widower was a 49 year old German born baker from
Church Road, Stoke Newington.
Builder James Bint
(1841) was 40 years old when he married
Charlotte Stratton at Hertford on the 31st of July
1881. 20 year old Charlotte was a student teacher,
the daughter of pub landlord John Stratton from the
Five Horseshoes at Little Berkhampstead. They had
four children - James Spencer Bint,
born Little Berkhampstead 1st of June 1882,
Caroline Charlotte Bint, born Little
Berkhampstead 23rd of August 1883, Arthur
Charles Bint, born Little Berkhampstead
21st of October 1884, and Ethel Kate Bint
born Little Berkhampstead 26th of January
James Bint was 58
when he died at Hertford in 1898. The 1901 census
shows his widow Caroline at their Little
Berkhampstead home with 18 year old son, carpenter
James Spencer Bint and his sisters, Charlotte and
Ethel. 24 year old James Spencer Bint died there in
Arthur Bint was
listed as an electrician in 1911 boarding at the
White Hart Hotel in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
married carpenter Charles Butterworth (26)
from Camden. They had two children, Horace
Herbert Butterworth who was baptised at Forest
Hill, Kent in December 1865, and Caroline Edith
Butterworth who was born at Lambeth in 1870.
Horace who was a
bank clerk, married Bedfordshire born police
inspector's daughter Frances Ellen Young
(1863) at Lewisham in October 1895, and Caroline
married fishmonger's son Henry Stephen Ingarfield
(1870) at Lewisham in 1899.
Bint (1845) married Shropshire born Jane
(Jenny) Chidley (1844) at Hertford on the 25th
of April 1869. They moved to London and their first
child Caroline was born at Newington in January 1870
- they may have been staying with his sister
Caroline Hobbs and her husband Henry who were living
at Newington at the time of the 1871 census. Their
next three children were born at Battersea.
By 1881 they were
at Peckham where John was listed as a corn merchant
with 6 children. In 1891 their home was at Lyndhurst
Road, Camberwell and John was employed as a
carpenter. He and Jane now had 9 children. The 1891
record has them still living at Lyndhurst Road with
Amy Jane Bint (1871) listed as a school board
teacher and Alfred J Bint (1875) a plumber's
The 1901 census
records that the family had now moved a few miles to
the dock-side area of Nunhead, SE15 where John
continued to be employed as a carpenter. In 1909,
when his daughter Gertrude was married, his
occupation was listed as 'clerk of works'.
They were living
at 41 Bousefield Road which two years earlier had
been the home of his niece Caroline Ingarfield's
in-laws. John's sister Harriet Butterworth (1843)
and her family were close by at number 74.
In 1911 the
family home was now at 15 Drakefell Road, a few
hundred yards away. John was still employed as a
Clerk of Works, Sydney (1878) an assistant in the
mantle trade, and Hubert (1886) a secretary for a
were demolished around Drakefell Road by a V1 flying
bomb which hit No 75 on June the 23rd 1944. **
see Robin Hatton's memories lower down this
Jenny's children were -
Bint, born Newington registered at
Newington Dec Qtr 1869, married James Bloss
Gurney at Camberwell in 1891. Amy
Jane Bint born Battersea, registered at
Wandsworth Sept Qtr 1871, married Henry
Couchman in 1897 at Reigate. Ernest
J Bint, born Battersea, registered at
Wandsworth June Qtr 1873, joined Royal Marines, died
in 1894 at Greenwich. Alfred John Bint,
born Battersea, registered at Wandsworth
June Qtr 1875, married Annie Beaumont
at Brockley in 1899. Sydney Bint,
born Brixton, registered at Lambeth June Qtr 1878.
Stanley Richard Bint, born Peckham,
registered at Lambeth Sept Qtr 1880.
Gertrude Harriet Bint, born Peckham,
registered at Camberwell Dec Qtr 1882, married
Sidney John Edmonds in 1909 at
Lewisham. Harry Hubert Bint, born
Peckham, registered at Camberwell June Qtr 1886.
Kate Eleanor Bint, born Peckham,
registered at Camberwell Mar Qtr 1888.
Mary Bint (1826)
John Blyton (1823) from Leicester at Hertford in
1860. He possibly worked for her father at some
point as he was listed as a visitor at their home in
1851. The couple were living at Little Berkhampstead
Martha Bint (1828)
married Robert Clark (1824) at Hertford in
1848. They had a son, Robert Clark, who was
born at Hadham in 1850.
Bint (1819-1849) and his wife Sarah
(1820-1860) settled at Port Vale, Hertford. They had
one daughter, Elizabeth Bint (1840) who
married Abbots Langley fish-monger William Cave
(1838) in 1860.
was also a
carpenter and in later years an undertaker. He
married Amelia Moseley (1822) at Whitechapel,
London. She is believed to have originated from the
Spencer's family area of Ribbesford in
Worcestershire. They had two children, Charles
Spencer Bint, born at Port Vale, Hertford in
1844 and John Alfred Bint, born Hertford in
1854. Young Charles died at Hertford in 1866
followed shortly by his mother Amelia in 1867.
In 1871 Charles
Bint (48) and his second wife Susan Hart (43)
who he married at Shoreditch, London in 1870, were
living in Hertford with four children, John Alfred
Bint (16), Louisa Hart (12), Albert Hart (8), and
Kate Hart (6).
Charles and Susan
were living at Cowbridge, Hertford with their
daughter Ellen Caroline Bint (1871-1938) at the time
of the 1881 and 1891 census.
(1854) married Amelia Marten, daughter of
Thomas Marten on 13 Oct 1877 in St Mary, Lambeth,
Surrey, England. Amelia was born about 1855 in
Southwark, Surrey. They had two children: Charles
Alfred and Sidney. They all appear on the 1881
census for Streatham, Surrey, living at 26 Oldridge
Road. Charles Alfred
was born in 1878 at Tooting, Surrey.
He is recorded on
the 1901 census at Prittlewell, Essex, living in at
1 Osborn Road with his wife Elsie and he worked as a
bricklayer's labourer. Charles Henry
was born in 1903
at Southend-on-Sea, Essex. He migrated to Australia
with his mother on the 'Rangatira' in February
1912 to join his father.In 1930 he was
working as an electrician at Kingsgrove, Sydney,
Australia. His father Charles Alfred Bint, died in
1932 at Kingsgrove aged 54. Ellen (Helen)
Caroline Bint (1871-1938)
Edward Brett in 1893. He was a coachman for Sir
Henry Meux, of the London Meux brewery family from
Theobalds Park, Cheshunt, where his father,
Alfred Brett (1852) was gamekeeper.
The 1911 census
shows Ellen and Albert have left domestic service
and are running the Cock Inn at Parndon, near Harlow
in Essex. Albert's widowed mother Caroline is living
with them. The couple had four children of whom only
two survived, Lily Brett (1895) and Freda
(1896) both born at Cheshunt. Kelly's Directory
shows that Albert Brett was the landlord of 'The
Cock' from 1911 till at least 1937.
Theobalds Park in
1836. Albert Brett and his parents lived there in
Albert at the Brett family home in the early 1900s
Theobalds Park in 1836. Albert Brett and his
parents lived there in the 1890s. Passed to
us by Danny Barnes, Albert's great-great-
grandson. The smoking lodge chimney on the
left is above the home of the Bretts in the
Albert was a coachman for the
Meux family, and his father Alfred a
of the Cock Inn - supplied by Danny Barnes.
The Cock inn, Cock Green, Parndon is
recorded from 1687.
It is a
timber-framed building dating from the 17th
century. The main front was encased in
brick, probably in the 19th century.
Bint's youngest son, William Spencer Bint (1834),
was a grocer's apprentice in 1851. He was a grocer's
assistant at nearby Manuden, Essex when he married
Jane Wootten (1844) in 1864. They
had one child, William Spencer Bint, in 1866. When
Jane was widowed in 1866, the same year her son was
born, she became a school-mistress in her home
village of Manuden.
Her son William, like his father, also became a
grocer's apprentice. In 1891 the census shows him as
a grocer's assistant to widow Mary Sandels
Bonnett (nee Margetts) (1852) whose husband
Edwin Bonnett had died in 1883 after only two years
of marriage. Her grocers and drapery shop was at
Littlington in Cambridgeshire.
year later, in April 1892, William Spencer Bint and
Mary Bonnett were married at her home village of
Sherbourne in Gloucestershire. The 1901 census
records their move to nearby Bourton, in the
Cotswolds area, where they were running a grocers
John and Jane's
daughter, Caroline Mary Bint (1869-1910),
married grocer's assistant James Bloss Gurney
(1869-1949) in the March Quarter of 1891 at
Camberwell. Their home was at 101 Brayard Road,
Peckham and their first four children were born in
that area. By 1901 the family of
eight had moved to 40 Penmartin Road, Brockley.
James was now a reasonably prosperous grocer if the
employing of 2 servants is any guide. They went on
to have 7 children. Caroline died in 1910 at the age
of only 40.Their eldest child Agnes Gurney
(1892) married her second cousin Albert Swain
Gurney (1888) in 1908 at Camberwell. James
remarried in 1912. She was Corrie Eagle from
Peckham. He died at Ramsgate, Kent in 1949.
My father was
one of seven children born in England to Albert
Swain Gurney b 1888 Camberwell, d 1945 Banstead,
and Agnes Dorothy Gurney, b 1892 Peckham, d
1959 Banstead. Albert's father was James Albert
Gurney, b 1867 Australia, d 1926 Australia. He grew
up in England and married twice, his 1st wife about
1880s with whom he had a son James b 1854. Have no
other information on the son James. The second wife
was Elizabeth Catherine Reed. They married in
England and had 6 children. All the family except
Albert Swain and his wife Agnes Dorothy came to
Australia early this century.
James Albert Gurney
had a cousin James Bloss Gurney who was the father
of Agnes Dorothy Gurney. James Bloss Gurney,
1869 - 1949, who married Caroline Mary Bint.
They had 7 children.
James Albert Gurney's father
was James Swain Gurney, b 1836 Camberwell d 1884,
who married Matilda Jane Leader. They had 7
children. James Bloss Gurney's father was Henry
Richard Gurney, b 1842 Bethnel Green who married
Mary Catherine Noke. They had 5 children.
Swain and Henry Richard were 2 of the 11 children
born to James Gurney, b1813 St Marys Whitechapel,
who married Martha Swain. James was the youngest of
4 children born to William Gurney who married Maria
Bloss 18.9.1804 at Christchurch, Spitfield, Stepney.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who
might be related or who could fill in any missing
gaps on the ancestors or descendants of this family
Barbara Buining, Ancestry messages May 1998.
John & Jane's
son Frederick Alfred Bint (1856) moved to
London as a teenager. On the 1871 census he is
recorded as staying with his sister Caroline Hobbs
and her husband at their Newington home. He was then
employed as a junior clerk to a cotton broker.
Georgina Hewberow James (1859) at St Lukes,
Chesea in September 1883. She was the daughter of
deceased physician Richard James and professor of
music Georgiana James who lived at 158 Oakley
Street, Chelsea. Frederick's occupation was at that
time recorded as 'iron agent'.
and 1901 he was listed as a commercial traveller,
the later census declaring 'distillery traveller'.
Some time before 1891 the couple had
moved to the recently built 241 Ivydale Road,
Nunhead SE15, and appear to have lived a reasonably
comfortable life-style, employing a house-keeper in
later years. They were only a short distance from
Bousefield Road, SE15 where Frederick's brother John
Bint, and sister Harriet Butterworth, had their
family homes in 1901.
They had one
child. She was Georgina Ruby Winifred Bint
who was born at her James grandparents' Chelsea home
in July 1884 and baptised at St Lukes, Chelsea on
the 4th of January 1885. Georgina appears to have
never married. She died in 1960 at Worthing in
Sussex aged 76.
I do not
have a record of Frederick's death but his wife
Georgina Bint died at Godstone, Surrey in 1927.
daughter of John and Jane was Amy Jane Bint
(1871). On the 1891 census she was living at home
and her occupation was listed as 'school board
teacher'. In 1897 she married grocer Henry
Couchman (1871) and in 1901 the couple were
running and living at a grocery store apparently
part of the school buildings at the Board School at
1 Ivydale Road, Nunhead. They were still there in
1911 and it is now recorded that Amy is employed as
a teacher. They had three daughters, Gladys,
born at Caterham, Surrey in 1898, Winifred at
Nunhead in 1902, and Muriel in 1908.
The photo shows
the school today.
Built in 1891 for
the School Board of London it is now a Primary
School and a listed building. It is only around one
kilometre from Bousefield Road where Amy's parents
were living in 1901.
John & Jane's
daughter Gertrude Harriett Bint (1882)
married Peckham butcher's son Sidney John Edmonds
(1883) at Lewisham in 1909. Sidney
worked as a clerk in the paper trade. They had one
child, Audrey Gertrude Edmonds who was 11
months old on the 1911 census. They were then living
with Sidney's parents at 13 Cicely Road, Peckham.
World War 2.
In the early hours of the 12th of August 1944 a
German V1 flying bomb hit the Ivydale Road/Inverton
Road junction of Nunhead.
Ten houses were
demolished and the Church and twenty houses were
damaged in Ivydale Road.
Seven shops and
houses, the Church Hall and six houses were also
damaged in Inverton Road and twenty houses were
damaged in Bellwood Road and twenty in Surrey Road.
Two people died.
Five days later,
at 6.44am, another V1 hit Ivydale Road. On this
occasion the Sports Pavilion was destroyed, 30
houses demolished and 60 houses were severely
John & Jenny
family were living in nearby Drakefell Road in 1911.
We have no knowledge at present how many years they
stayed there. Here's a wartime memory from a later
In Spring 1944
our parents moved to another house in Drakefell
Road, on the Borders of Brockley and New Cross, us
children thought it was wonderful as it was an end
house with a side entrance into the Park.
At this period
we were getting a pasting from V1s, Doodlebugs or
Flying bombs. These were Hitler's Vengeance weapons
which he started throwing at us in South London on
13th of June 1944.
On the night
of 22nd June, my sisters and I were sleeping in the
Anderson shelter in the garden, Mum,
Dad and baby
Geoff were sleeping in the house under a heavy
mahogany dining table. Apart from a few air raids
during the night we slept quiet well. At 0650hrs on
23rd June 1944, a V1 came down about 15 to 20 yds.
from where we were in the shelter.
Luck was on
our side as we were not badly injured and Mum, Dad
and baby were relatively unscathed. As the houses in
this part of Drakefell Road were near to St.
Catherines Church at the top of Pepys Road, the
Vicar came to see what he could do, and being about
the first person on the scene who was not suffering
from shock, started to dig people out of the rubble
and organise other helpers who were arriving in
little gangs to assist.
He dug us out
from the shelter and helped to get Mum, Dad and
Geoff from the house. For these actions he was
awarded the GEORGE MEDAL. One of our old neighbours
from Arbuthnot Road, Bertie Hope, was on his way
through the park to work for a builder when he came
across us sitting in the rubble of what was our
house receiving first aid treatment, he ran back to
Arbuthnot Road to tell our old neighbours and
friends of our bombing and within a short while we
were surrounded by our old friends helping us out,
the women sorting out Mum and the children and the
Men trying to salvage what they could of our home,
Bertie Hope arrived with a builders hand cart and
within a short time they were all going through the
Park like a column of ants with our belongings to
our old house that was empty.
I do not know
how they got in but it was welcome and a good
gesture from `Old Friends` Robert (Robin)
George Hatton. Excerpt from the BBC's 'WW2
People's War" 29 people were
On the 15th of
October, the same year,
another V1 hit a row of 2 storey terraced houses
at the Southern junction of Ferholme and Athenlay
roads, causing demolition to 3 houses, damage beyond
repair to 19 houses, serious damage to 60 houses and
damage calling for first aid repair to about 500
others within a radius of about 300 yards from the
point of impact. Eight trapped casualties had to be
rescued. Our photos show typical 'doodlebug' damage
in that area.
During the latter part of World War
2, 6184 people were killed by V1 flying bombs and
17981 seriously wounded.
Countless more would suffer the pain
of bereavement and the loss of their home and
Richard Bint, the son of James and Caroline,
at Hertingfordbury on the 29th of September 1850.
In the earlier
years he followed his father's trade as a carpenter
and this was recorded on the 1871 census return when
he was still living at home.
By 1875 he was on
the music hall circuit and his daughter Beatrice's
1875 birth certificate described him as a serio
comic singer. (Serio is a combination of serious and
An 1881 poster
describes him as a comic and another from 1891 as
Author, Vocalist and Composer. The 1891 census shows
him on tour in Aberdeen, Scotland where he is a
was born at 51
Upper Marylebone Street, Marylebone on the 25th of
March 1875. Will did not marry Beatrice's mother,
Nottingham born Lilian Elizabeth Slack
(1857), who adopted his surname. She was
calling herself a widow when living at Brighton
Terrace, Brixton in 1891. He was in fact very much
alive and had been married to Emma Lewis since 1878.
It appears that he took care of his daughter
Beatrice financially as her mother was described as
having independent means on the 1891 census.
herself gave birth out of wed-lock. Will's grandson
Arthur Percy Bint
who was born at Queen Charlotte's Hospital on
the 14th of May 1895.
His life in those
early years does not seem to have been very
comfortable. On the 1901 Lambeth return we have
Percy Bint (5) as a boarder at a school in Sankey
Street, Lambeth. It shows his birth-place as Kent
(where his mother's Slack grand parents now lived).
That was probably a mistaken assumption by the
people running the place but may possibly give an
indication about who was paying the fees.
Beatrice, married Newington born widower Alfred
James Sharpe (1864) at Christ Church, North
Brixton on December19th 1911. Alfred's occupation
was given as a milk can maker and his address
Camberwell. Beatrice's father was recorded as
William Bint, artiste, deceased. (He was still alive
- did Beatrice really believe he was dead?)
According to a
Sharpe family tree on Ancestry there were no
children born from this marriage. She was
known in their family as 'Beaty'. Her husband
Alfred Sharpe died at Camberwell in 1924. No date is
recorded for Beaty's death.
was a large part of Will Bint's life. It was where
he probably met Beatrice's mother Lily Slack.
street map shows Saltoun Road, the home of Beatrice
Bint when Percy was born in 1895, Brighton Terrace,
the residence of her mother Lillian Bint in the
1890s, and Ardville Road, renamed Rushcroft Road in
1912, where Will's son Sydney Bint was living when
he married Maude Turpin.
At the top of the
map, across Coldharbour Lane, and in the photo on
the right, is Electric Avenue, then the focal point
of Brixton, so named because in the 1860s it was the
first street in South London to be lit by
electricity. The shops in their tall terraces were
erected in 1888, and Electric Avenue soon became the
fashionable shopping centre of Victorian Brixton.
Gents in top hats and ladies in crinolines came to
shop daily from the butcher's counter or the baker's
van. Well-scrubbed shops lined up along both sides
of the street, with the pavements covered by a
continuous row of elegant glazed iron canopies.
Every Christmas, it would be lavishly covered in
spectacular Christmas decorations.
residents were quite a cosmopolitan mix. Famous
theatrical performer Sir Henry Irving lived for some
time in Ardville Road.
The 1901 census
for the Saltoun Road/Ardville Road area shows a wide
range of occupations. Actors, theatrical managers
and agents, wrestlers, acrobats, tea merchants,
bankers, insurance men, journalists and authors,
charity workers, solicitors, commission agents,
'ladies of the night', and musicians rubbed
shoulders with the local artisans, and trades
Theatre opened at Brixton with a variety show on
Boxing Day 1898 at the peak of music hall's
popularity. It was situated at Brighton Terrace
where Lily Slack and Beatrice Bint were living in
1891. Its four storey frontage extended along
Brighton Terrace. Our poster shows the
program for October 17th, 1910.
Emma Harriet Lewis (1857-93) at Lambeth Registry
Office on the second of February 1878. His
occupation was recorded as 'vocalist'. Emma was the
daughter of coal & coke contractor George
There only seems
to have been one child from this marriage. He was
Sydney William Bint who was was born at
Wandsworth, Middlesex in 1880 and died at Lambeth in
1910. In 1881 he was staying with his Lewis
grandparents at Wandsworth Road, Clapham. In
1891 he was a boarder at Taplow Grammar School, near
Eton. Below is an an advert from the London Daily
News, Wednesday, August 15th, 1883.
EDUCATION--TAPLOW GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Maidenhead ( 20miles from London ) 30 guineas, no
extras, no charge for laundress or books. Extensive
premises, well adapted and healthily situate; 30
acres of grounds, with outdoor recreation, cricket,
bathing, etc. Pure milk and vegetables from school
farm. Preparatory department. Principal has been a
successful tutor many years. No corporal punishment.
No quarter's notice. Best diet, without limits.
Address the Principal.
On the 1901
census, for his father's sister Caroline Enders's St
Pancras home, the 20 year old is recorded as a civil
service clerk. He died at Lambeth in 1910 when only
30 years old. His mother Emma Harriet Bint
was only 36 when she died in 1893.
married Maude Adelaide Turpin (1877) at the
Lambeth Register Office on the 21st of August 1901.
Their only child, Ellen Cecilia Bint, was
registered at Hackney in June 1903. He is listed as
of 'independent means' and her father is builder's
foreman, Edwin Turpin (bn 1854). At the time
the couple gave their current address as Apartment
2, Heathfield House, Brixton. These quality
built homes were apparently very popular with the
cosmopolitan crowd and music hall performers.
The marriage does
not appear to have gone well as sometime before
1906, Maude and Ellen have left Sidney Bint and are
living at 35 Heaton Street, Salford near
Manchester with Romanian commercial traveller,
Edmond Rothschild (1874).
On the 1911
census form there are, including Ellen Cecilia,
three children all with the Rothschild surname.
Ethel Maude Rothschild was born at
Manchester in 1906 and Charles Edmund
Rothschild in 1908. Their mother Maude Bint
was listed as married 10 years, and a
'housekeeper'. She may not have known at the time
of the 1911 census that her husband Sydney had died
the previous year or its reasonable to assume she
would have listed herself as a widow.
She did not marry
Edmond Rothschild till 1934, two years before his
The 1911 census
shows Will Bint still alive and on tour at
Sheffield. The 60 year old has a new wife, 44 year
old Fanny Bint from Rotham, Kent and they are
both listed as music hall artists. They are together
staying with the Enders family in 1901. She is then
listed as Fanny Cooper (38) a widow from
Chatham, Kent with no occupation noted. She was in
fact popular music hall and musical comedy artiste
Fanny Robina who he married in 1903. see
died at Epsom,
Surrey in 1913.