Appleton, a village and a
parish in Berkshire. The village stands near the Upper
Thames, 5 miles NW of Abingdon station on the G.W.R., and
has a post and money order office under Abingdon, which is
the telegraph office. The parish includes also the township
of Eaton. Acreage, 2077 ; population, 532. The Fettiplaces
had an old seat here, which is now reduced to a fragment,
with remains of a moat The living is a rectory in the
diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £330 with residence, in
the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is a plain
stone building in the Early English style, the chancel being
15th century. The tower contains a fine peal of ten bells.
The nave was restored in 1883. The church has a Jacobean
tomb of Sir J. Fettiplace, and a brass of a skeleton (1518).
There is also a small Wesleyan chapel. The manor house is
supposed to have been built in the reign of Henry II.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England
and Wales, 1894-5
Across the river from
Eaton, at the Bablock Hythe ferry, is the historic parish of
Northmoor in Oxfordshire. Bablock Hythe was on the Berkshire
Oxfordshire border until 1974. There were Bint family members
baptised at Northmoor long before those at Eaton.
Close to Long Leys Farm is
the Physic Well an ancient water-hole renowned in the 17th
century for its curative powers.
The Eaton Bint family's
first proven ancestor was
was born in Berkshire around 1725 and died in December 1802 at
William was married to
who was probably from Besselsleigh. Susannah died in 1815 and
was also buried at Appleton. They had at least five children, Mary
- 1750, John - 1753-1768, William - 1761-1829, Susanah -
1759, Joanna - 1761.
Their son William Bint (1761) was a
shoe maker who was married on the 13th of December 1784 at
St Lawrence Church, Besselsleigh to Emily Buckingham. She
was born in 1767, the daughter of Robert and Mary Buckingham of
Besselsleigh. They had at least five children,
all baptised at Besselsleigh,
Bint - 1792,
1800, Phillip- 1804,
William & Emily's son
(1804-1889) was a farm
labourer who on the 4th of June 1830 married Eliza Fletcher
(1811-1850) at her home parish
church of South
Philip and Elizabeth had five children, Charles -1831-1832,
James - 1832-1905,
Fanny - 1835-37,
Charles - 1837-1854, Henry -
1839-1911, and George - 1849.
died in 1850 and Philip
remarried in 1852 at St Lawrence Church Appleton. Sarah Townsend
(1817-1903) was the widow of Appleton farm-worker Zachariah
Giles (1814-1846) who had died in 1846. She was born in the
Berkshire town of Wallingford. Phillip and Sarah continued
to live in the Eaton/Cumnor area and had two children,
and Selina (1856
census shows Philip as a widower at Eaton with 3 of his sons,
Charles 14, George 2 and Henry 11. It also shows at another
address the widowed Sarah Giles listed as a pauper with four
children, the youngest Zachariah jnr, baptised in November 1846
just two months after the death of his father.
In 1871 Phillip and
Sarah were still living at Appleton with their two
Both parents are believed to have
died as paupers in the Abingdon workhouse. Reading Mercury 5th May 1855
William and Emily's
daughter Rosanna Bint (1798-1880) married Abingdon mason's
labourer William Reynolds (1795-1860) in 1823. They lived at Ock
Street, Abingdon all their lives. Their children
were: Eliza Reynolds
1829 – 1894, Harriett Reynolds 1832 – 1914,
1834 – 1868, George Reynolds 1837 – 1918,
Reynolds 1840 – 1925.
William & Emily's son William Bint
(1795) appears to have moved to Yorkshire with his wife Ann.
He was employed as a sacking weaver in the Howden area near
Selby. His wife died there in 1839 and he was still in
that location during
the 1860s and staying at the 'Half Moon' at Howden in 1861. At
some point he returned to Berkshire where he was listed as an
inmate of the Abingdon workhouse in 1881. He is believed to have
The picture on the left shows the Half Moon at Howden, near
Selby, Yorkshire in 1925.
I do find his moving a couple of
hundred miles from his birth place quite puzzling. Its not
surprising that at a time when Berkshire agricultural workers
were having a difficult time surviving he would seek work
elsewhere, but this was long before our country developed a rail
network and the journey by road would have been long and
hazardous. I can only guess that he spent some time working in
the Midlands before reaching Yorkshire. TB
Sarah's daughter Selina Bint (1856) married farm worker
Bennett (1850) from Cumnor in 1873. They settled at
Appleton village and raised 10 children. Charles Bennett 1874, Mary Ann Bennett 1876, Alice Bennett 1878,
Ellen Bennett 1884,
Stella Bennett 1889,
Bennett 1894, and
Reginald James Bennett 1896.
Sarah's other daughter Alice Bint (1853-1938) also married a
farm worker and settled in Appleton. He was Charles William
Bullock who was born at nearby Marcham in 1852. They were
married in 1871. On the 1891 census her recently widowed mother
Sarah Bint is staying with them. Their children all born at
Kate Bullock 1872 – 1962,
Thirza Bullock 1883 – 1973,
and Gertrude Ellen Bullock 1890 – 1980.
In 1835 Abingdon had the dubious
honour of opening the first Union workhouse in the country.
It followed the passing of the Poor Law Act in 1834
establishing a system of Poor Law Union workhouses. The
complex was built on the Oxford Road opposite St. Edmund's
Church. The Master could view most activities from his
parlour in the central hub of the complex.
With little security at all, the
agricultural day labourers were near the bottom of society.
They were better off only than those with no income, the
paupers. The poor were often widows and orphans, who
had lost their family bread-winner, or the elderly or those
who were disabled and unable to work. These
‘undeserved poor’ were supported through parish rates.
By 1840 six out of seven of our
ancestors in England and Wales lived in areas where the Poor
Law was in force. It was a stark terrible fact that the
majority of people were at some time or another likely to
find themselves destitute. Yet there was a suicidal horror
of the dreaded workhouse; people endured desperate cold and
hunger before applying for entry.
The Workhouses were intended to be
"less desirable than life outside", with the theory being
that if things inside the Workhouse could be made as
disagreeable as possible, then they would be encouraged to
find work and not depend on the Poor Rate. This was
intended to be accomplished by strict discipline, sparse
food, and separation of not just males and females, but of
Abingdon Poor Law Union was
formed on 1st January 1835, the very first union to be
declared under the new Act, comprising 14 parishes.
However it was enlarged from 6th October 1835 to include a total of 38
parishes. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of
Guardians, 41 in number, representing its constituent
parishes listed below.
Berkshire: Abingdon St
Helen, Abingdon St Nicholas, Appleford, Appleton and Eaton,
Besselsleigh, Cumnor, Draycot Moor, Drayton, Frilford,
Fyfield, Garford, Kingston Bagpuize, Lyford, Marcham,
Milton, North Hinksey, Radley, Seacourt, South Hinksey,
Steventon, Sunningwell, Sutton Courtenay, Sutton Wick,
Tubney, Wootton, Wytham.
Later Additions: Bagley Wood,
Oxfordshire: Binsey, Burcott,
Chiselhampton, Clifton (Hampden), Culham, Drayton St.
Leonard, Littlemoor, Marsh Baldon, Nuneham Courtenay,
Sandford, Stadhampton, Toot Baldon.
A number of elderly paupers from
the farm labouring Bint family spent time here and its where
William (1795), his brother Philip (1804-1889) and Philip's
second wife Sarah (1817-1903) are believed to have died.
The workhouse was closed in 1932
and demolished soon after.