The Bint Family of New Zealand





 The Bint Family of New Zealand

site search  





It was around 1890 that the Bint family moved up to the North Island and settled on 453 acres at Tarata, Taranaki. The tenth and youngest child Catherine (Kate) was born  there in July 1892. She was to marry  37 year old widower Sydney Smith in 1915 at New Plymouth. Sydney George Smith was born at New Plymouth in 1879. He was the son of Warwickshire born Edward Metcalf Smith (bn 1839) and Mary Ann Golding (1846) an army officer's daughter from Chatham, Kent, who had married at Auckland in 1861.

His first marriage was to Elsie Rose Herbert at New Plymouth in 1901. They had three children all born at New Plymouth, Rosa Maud (1902), Ethel Mary (1905), and Edward George Smith (1906). Rose tragically died in 1913.

Widower Sydney married 23 year old Catherine (Kate) Bint at St Mary's Church, New Plymouth in February 1915.

They had three children who were all born at New Plymouth, Raymond Sydney Smith (1916-1944), Harry Allman Smith (1918-1998), and Lorna Hazel Smith (1922)

Philip & Eliza Bint 
George Bint 
Charlotte Hayward 
Walter Bint 
Catherine Smith 
James Bint 
Lester Bint 
 William Bint

Bertha Bint

Bint Family UK

Young Kate at Tarata School - top row- third from right.

Bertha and Kate at Tarata with dairy cows

Philip Bint and sons (+ Kate?) producing building planks at their saw-pit near Tarata

Kate with her parents at Tarata

Sydney Smith, Kate & Bertha in 1915 at New Plymouth

A better photograph of Sydney George and Catherine Kate' s wedding, as it features his mother Mary Ann Smith nee Golding on his side, with some of his siblings and her mother Charlotte Bint nee Allman on her side, with some of her siblings. Stephanie

The Bint siblings assembled in older age - I  have yet to identify them all - Catherine is in the centre and Will is the one with the bushy moustache I believe - haven't yet tried matching the other faces but no doubt Lester and or Walter is probably there.       Stephanie

Kate Bint's Autograph Album

Sydney George Smith (1879 – 1943) was a New Zealand politician of the Liberal Party and then the National Party, and a cabinet minister.

He was Minister of Education in the Liberal-Reform coalition Government of New Zealand from 1934 to 1935, and was also Minister of Labour.

He represented the Taranaki electorate from 1918 to 1925. At the 1918 contest, Sydney Smith was an Independent Labour candidate and in 1922 a Liberal Labour candidate. In 1925 he stood unsuccessfully for New Plymouth, but in 1928 he was successful, and he returned to Parliament until he was defeated in 1938 by Labour candidate Frederick Frost.

He was a son of the Taranaki Member of Parliament Edward Metcalf Smith. He worked in the New Zealand Railways for 20 years, and for 13 years held office in the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants



Edward Metcalf Smith was born on the 10 January 1839. His birthplace is now believed to have been in Fenny Compton Warwickshire, rather than Cradley or Bradley as had been previously suggested. 

He is also believed to have been the son of Charles METCALF, Agricultural Labourer, and his wife Maria Joiner, rather than Charles William Smith, a monumental sculptor, who it is now believed was a relative of the family.

All the family stories agree that EMS was brought up by an aunt after having been orphaned (no official adoptions at that time) - just haven't pinned her/them down yet , but have tracked down a William Smith Sculptor, also listed as Marble and Stone Mason in Birmingham at around the 1850- 1860's who might be related in some way to the stories about Lichfield Cathedral work, and maybe the family.

In one census he is in Cregor or Creagor St which some of the Metcalfs or was it Halls (William John Hall, EMS uncle) were living. Stephanie

He began work in the local iron industry and several years later became apprentice gunsmith at the Royal Small Arms factories of London and Enfield and then at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.Cartoon of Edward Metcalf Smith - 1894

On qualifying, Edward Smith was appointed garrison armourer to the New Zealand field forces. He arrived in Auckland on the African in 1861. There, on 24 December that year, he married 15-year-old Mary Ann Golding, born March 1846, the daughter of Nicholas Golding, an army officer.

'The African', of Shaw Saville's escort lines, sailed from Gravesend on the 31st January 1861, for Auckland direct and arrived in early June. She took a large qnantity of powder and other military stores; five officers, and a company of men of the commissariat and hospital corps, with their wives and families; Two of the officers had sailed in the ship to join the 67th regiment then serving in New Zealand.

In 1860 about the time of the outbreak of the first of the later Maori Wars, the strength of the British forces was down to approximately a thousand men. These troops, consisting of the 65th Regiment and detachments of artillery and engineers, were scattered in five different stations, at Auckland, Wellington, Napier, Wanganui, and New Plymouth.

By the end of 1865, the Imperial forces in the colony totalled about 10,000 men, consisting of the 12th, 14th, 18th, 40th, 43rd, 50th, 57th, 65th, 68th, and 70th Regiments, two batteries of Field Artillery, and Royal Engineers and Military Train.

Smith went back to England in 1864 but returned soon after to live in Taranaki with his wife and her family. He established a gun-smithing business in Devon Street, New Plymouth, and also accepted the position of armourer to the Taranaki Militia and Taranaki Rifle Volunteers. After several years he took up a similar post in the Defence Department at Wellington.

Edward Smith's association with the steel industry in his early years stimulated his long-term quest to found a viable iron industry using Taranaki ironsand; he was nicknamed 'Ironsand' as a consequence. In 1868 he and his partners, Decimus Atkinson and John Perry, announced an experimental process for smelting ironsand. Smith continued refining the process during his years with the Defence Department in Wellington, but in 1873 he resigned his position to return to Taranaki. 

There he founded his major venture, the Titanic Iron and Steel Company; the company's smelter was built at Te Henui, New Plymouth, in the mid 1870s. However, the translation from experimentation to commercial viability was never fully achieved - the process was too costly for there to be a profit - and the company was wound up in 1881.

Nevertheless, Smith continued his boosting of the industry and became involved as a consultant in a smelting venture at Onehunga, Auckland, in 1892. In 1896 and again in 1901 he went to Britain in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain support for further research and development.

Smith entered politics in the 1880s. He unsuccessfully contested the New Plymouth electorate for the Liberals in 1884 and in 1887, and was finally returned as MHR for Taranaki in 1890. He held this seat, except for the 1896--99 term, until his death in 1907. Smith was remembered for his unconventional attire - frock-coat, wide waistcoat, large buttonhole and tam-o'-shanter (when out of doors) - and his habit of concluding speeches with comic lines of verse, sometimes of his own composition.

Edward Smith died on 19 April 1907 as the result of injuries received after he fell from a railway carriage in New Plymouth. He was survived by seven sons and three daughters. His wife Mary Ann died in New Plymouth on 31 August 1923. Their son, Sydney George Smith, had by then become MP for Taranaki.


Photo of Edward Metcalf  Smith's  Family


Back Row: Samuel James, William Joseph, Elizabeth Jane, John Charles


Middle  Row: Anna Maria, EMS and Daisy, MaryAnn and Herbert, Edward Nicholas, Emma Sarah


Front Row: Thomas Percy, Leonard Lichfield, Sydney George

Lorna Hazel Smith 

Lorna became a WAAF in 1940, at the age of 17. She was drawn to the air force because of her father's flying contacts. Sydney George Smith, Minister of Education in the mid-1930s, was a friend of famous aviator Charles Kingsford Smith.

At that time, Kingsford Smith was doing his pioneering flights around New Plymouth in his plane, the Southern Cross, and Lorna's dad was offered free rides. "He was too scared, so he sent his children instead, which of course we adored," Lorna says. Later, her father discovered what he was missing. "He said if he had known flying was like that we wouldn't have had those trips."  see ..  LORNA SMITH'S STORY


Harry Allman Smith

Youngest brother, Flight Lieutenant Harry Smith, piloted bombers in Africa and later flew with the Chindits dropping supplies over the Burma line. A Chindit was the name given to a member of the Allied forces behind the Japanese lines in Burma from 1943-45.


Raymond Sydney Smith

Her elder brother, Major Ray Smith, was in charge of B Company in the 26th Battalion, which took part in the Battle of Sangro in Italy.

"He was killed on Christmas Eve Day, 1943," Lorna says. "He was shot through the back of the head by a sniper. I understand it was at a little place called Castel Frantano."

Lorna relates that her brother's batman (attendant) rescued his body from no-man's land. "He was given a proper burial in Italy, but when the (New Zealand) War Graves Commission collected bodies from here, there and everywhere, his grave could not be found. So his name has been added to the names at Cassino."







He was extremely popular; crowds flocked to see him. In 29 days, he visited at least 42 places, from Auckland to Invercargill, shaking hands, inspecting troops, visiting soldiers’ hospitals, attending school children parades, speaking and listening at formal welcomes and farewells, watching sports events, waving from railway carriages, dancing at balls, and much more. All through his visit he was writing long letters back to his lover in London, Mrs Freda Dudley Ward. He had met her in 1918, and was besotted. The long expedition away from her was very painful to him and the letters are full of expressions of how much he misses her.

Of particular interest to New Zealand are his detailed descriptions of the places he visited, the duties he performed, and the people he met. There were some things he liked, but generally he had an extremely miserable time. In one letter he wrote ‘It is a rotten way of seeing a fine country… Returned soldiers & shrieking crowds & school children are all I shall remember from my visit my beloved, though I might add drunkinos as half the men are overflowing with scotch at most of the places I’ve been to.’

Governor General Lord Liverpool
…the Liverpools are the absolute limit beloved one; he is too hopelessly pompous & impossible for words while she is so shy that she hardly ever utters & I've given up even trying to make conversation!! (25 April 1920, Auckland)


Maori welcomes
Denton, Frank James, 1869-1963. Newmarket Hotel, later the Imperial Hotel, Todays stunts altho terribly boring and irritating would anyway have been a little interesting if it had'nt poured in sheets till 3.00pm. I had to go through long and tedious Maori ceremonies at both the native villages & had to submit to being made to look the most hopeless B.F dolled up in mats & other things while inane Maories danced & made weird noises at me!! Some of the Maori women sang and danced quite nicely tho they spoilt their stunt by revolting me by kissing my hand when I shook hands with them all. (28 April, Rotorua)

The Imperial Hotel, Wanganui
Such a pompous address my beloved but its really a miserable hole; no electric light & the hotel boilers elected to burst before dinner so no baths & a very nasty dinner!! But we are all rather peeved tonight as we have had a desperately trying day…. I'm frozen as there's no heating in my room & I'm sitting huddled up in an overcoat! (4 May, Wanganui) 

Photo from


PRINCE OF WALES' TOUR VISIT TO WANGANUI. Wanganui, May 3. The Prince has had a particularly strenuous time since leaving Auckland on Sunday afternoon. The conditions of travel were comfortable and a great deal of ground was covered at a fast rate of speed. On arriving at Wanganui the Prince met the entire population on the cricket ground. After a speech acknowledging a loyal address and decorating returned soldiers with medals, the Prince entered a motor car which was drawn by 200 returned soldiers and nurses completely round the ground. The Prince stood up in the car saluting the assemblage. A trip followed to the Wanganui Collegiate School, which is built and organised on the lines of an English public school. The Prince addressed the boys at the schoolhouse and urged them to maintain the high traditions of the school which sent many old boys to serve in Imperial formations. The boys received the Prince with thunders cheers. A noteworthy fact was that eight masters of this school lined up when the war broke out. Only one returned to New Zealand, all the rest were killed in action. The Prince, on returning to the Imperial Hotel found the street full of people. He addressed them briefly from the balcony, thanking them for their welcome. Western Argus Tuesday 11 May 1920.

Dances and New Zealand woman
We have just returned from the most priceless funny party that one could imagine, there wasn't a single woman who had the least idea how to dance & the squeejee band and the floor and everything tho we stuck it out like heroes until the supper & tried to lug those wads of ham faced women around altho we were all feeling very weary and thoroughly peeved. But perhaps its unkind to talk about these poor peoples gallant efforts to entertain us in this way but we've been suffering under these ghastly sordid entertainments for over a fortnight now!! (11 May, Nelson)

The welcoming crowds at Wellington
…a most marvelous welcome here in the capital of the Dominion the crowds were so dense that I had to stand up in the car the whole way!!… for once I was gratified and felt quite the cheap hero!!… we managed to keep fairly cheery despite never one hour free from returned soldiers and school children!! Christ how cadets, boy scouts and school children and their cheers and “God saves” and “God blesses” get on my nerves… ‘(5 May1920 Wellington)


Prince of Wales at Wellington 1920

Sydney George Smith and the Prince of Wales. This is the complete and original taken in Wellington in May 1920 as mentioned by the Prince, and features a veteran (bugler obviously) from the NZ Land Wars. Stephanie


The West Coast
It hasn’t all been easy this week on the W. coast as its very bolshie altho there were no incidents!! A few of the returned soldiers leaders were rather truculent sweetheart (tho. not the men themselves) & we had to be very tactful as of course the most important item of the trip are the returned men & all would be over if I got wrong with them! Then the mayor of Christchurch is an absolute wrong un…. But then he’s a socialist “of the people, by the people, for the people” & worst of all he started talking politics and was most offensive.’ (14 May Christchurch)

His family
Christ! how I loathe and despise my bloody family…But if H.M thinks he is going to alter me by insulting you he’s making just about the biggest mistake of his silly useless life; all he has done is infuriate me and make me despise him…’ (22 May, Lyttleton)


See David Colquhoun's interesting account of the 1920 visit of the Prince of Wales to Wellington


I think maybe the UK was better off with him gone and George VI & Elizabeth in charge of the throne.   Stephanie


I agree - He would have made a lousy King.  Tom



Photographs from Stephanie Santaana


See Stephanie's Family Research

See Lottie Hayward's 1937 letter to her sister Kate Smith


Contributions, Corrections and Criticisms all very welcome!


contact me at 


Berkshire Bints   New Zealand Families   Hertfordshire Bint Family  
Shinfield   Taranaki Migrants   Percy Bint & Canada  
Shinfield Fiction   Irene Hannam's Letters   Will Bint Music Hall Artiste  
Bints of Sunningdale   Old Tarata Photos   Little Berkhamsted History  
Tom Bint & 626 Squadron   Lorna Smith's Story      
Lambourn   George Bint      
Eaton   Philip Bint & Eliza Day      
Sparsholt   Edward Haywood & Charlotte   Yorkshire & Luton Bint Family  
The Allmans   Walter & Lillian Bint      
Legge Family   Sydney Smith & Catherine   Henry Bint from Eaton  
Henry Hippisley   James Bint & Ellen Stratford   The Yorkshire & Luton Family  
Standlake History   Lester & Rosa Bint   Paul's Photographs  
Around Old Eaton   William & Rose   James Bint & the Oxford Family  
Barkham History Site   Bertha Bint      
Arborfield History Site   An 1898 letter from England      
Lambourn Baptisms   The Lancashire Witch      
Childrey Village Charlotte's Album
Magdalene's 1686 will   The Voyage of the Cardigan Castle      
Mary Russell Mitford's Book   Cousin Arthur Soanes & 1880s Tarata      
Mary Mitford's Home   The Rawlinsons      
James Bint & the Oxford Family   The Aussie Rawlinsons      
    The Stratford Family